27/05/2010

After Pancho's Death



When  I think of Pancho, the most predominant feeling that comes to my mind is patience. Patience I would preach myself seated in bed whenever he would cry in the middle of the night for maybe fourth time because he had diarrhea and wanted to go out. Or patience I would preach myself whenever he would want to spend more than 10 minutes sniffing at the very same tree on our walks. (later on I developed a very cunning strategy where I was actually able to read my morning paper while walking him.)


I'm not sure if he loved me. I  wasn't maybe the ideal care giver for him. But I loved him. Not only for his cute nose but also for things I have learnt from him. I think, thanks to him, I'll struggle less about being a father if I ever come to that point.


Enjoy the winds and sunshine there. The cookie pool too, of course.

3 comments:

nemo said...

Although you believe that you are not the ideal care giver for Pancho, I’m sure Pancho had many reasons to love you. You don't have to be the ideal one. Don’t confuse dogs with human beings. Dogs love you as you are..

Anonymous said...

I never had the chance to tell you how much excellent care you took of him. We were SO LUCKY to have you for nearly half of his life time...You allowed him to jump up to bed whenever he felt like it, sleep in between your legs even on your pillow, you took him out to escapades and new territories for hours-the most important step ever-, fed him his favorite foods, played with him for hours (even in the expense of my nose one time)...I know that he loved you. And he always remembered you.

This photo is incredible. Look at his calmness. Look at how he is enjoying the wind and the sun. He was so intelligent, so sophisticated. He didn't love everyone. But he loved you.

He is just a breath away now. Just one breath.

degisen said...

that was some hit! pancho's toy on your nose i mean. but you shouldn't have entered the game zone - which actually was the flat. well, it was maybe a slightly wrong selection of place after all.